SUMMARY and EXPERIENCE
Published writer, successful grant writer and marketing communications senior specialist with expertise in planning, executing and managing strategic marketing communications activities, and leveraging multiple channels to create value and drive brand success. Proven contributor with excellent skills in relationship-building and assisting team and matrix partners. Detail-oriented yet creative; hands-on health care reform, clinical, managed care and health insurance background with solid project management skills. Core competencies and skills include:
CIGNA, Hartford, CT
Marketing Communications Senior Specialist 2011-2013
Responsible for supporting the execution and management of the marketing communications plan supporting the business objectives of Cigna's health care reform strategies, while linking to Marketing's Portfolio of Initiatives. Worked in close partnership with the segment Marketing teams and with various specialty marketing groups within Cigna, as well as with external partners, to ensure timely and flawless delivery of the plan.
· End-to-end development and execution of B2B marketing campaigns to enlighten, inform and provide value-added services related to various health care reform provisions; successfully launched on or before schedule, under budget and to much acclaim for the benefits/coverage and fees/taxes work streams/functional areas.
· Principal writer/business lead for award-wining Cigna health care reform website www.informedonreform.com.
AETNA, Hartford, CT
Senior Project Manager - Marketing & Communications 2010 – 2011
National Care Management Engagement and Innovation
Supported enterprise by setting strategies and implementing tactics for alternative solutions to meet rapidly evolving business needs; all projects funded despite constraints; brought in on time and under budget.
· Developed business case, and collaborated across multiple areas, to create and execute a research-based direct-to-consumer video email marketing strategy comprising two turn-key eCampaigns to drive member engagement.
· Created content, messaging, and benchmarking in support of eMarketing tools, successfully leading the ground-up commercialization of 23 D2C health-related videos and 12 monthly eCampaigns to fulfill customer needs.
· Co-developed a clinical weight loss multi-channel engagement study, including vendor management and competitive intelligence research, curriculum development, and analysis to establish a differentiating model.
· Performed competitive, trend and market research in support of senior management project needs.
AETNA - Marketing Communications Account Manager 2007 – 2010
National Care Management Sales Support
Improved Aetna's story and fostered brand loyalty by providing internal and external marketing communications support for cross-segment health program offerings.
· Worked with program design to create innovative sales materials for new Healthy Lifestyle Coaching program
· Created internal communications for full range of care management offerings, including guides, sell-sheets, value propositions and direct-to-consumer communications to support national sales force.
· Developed external presentations and marketing collateral to promote brand loyalty and attract/retain business.
· Solicited, wrote and published numerous member success stories to help tell the care management story.
· Acted as liaison, and provided writing, editing, consultative and marketing communications expertise to support cross-functional teams and initiatives.
TO THE POINT - Solopreneur 1996 – 2007; 2011
Contributed marketing and communications expertise to private and non-profit clients by providing freelance grant, copy, custom and editorial writing, editing and consulting. Clients includedAetna, American International Group, Gannett Publishing, Krames StayWell Custom Publishing, Mercer Human Resource Consulting, St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital, New York Academy of Medicine and Youth Continuum, Inc.
· Freelance work published in Newsweek, The Washington Post, USA WEEKEND, New York Times Style Magazine, Prevention, Health, The Writer, others.
· Secured over $8,000,000 in foundation, local, state and federal funding for non-profit organizations.
· Wrote marketing brochure for Aetna Customized Communications Group, which won International Association of Business Communicators “Bronze Quill” Award.
· Won Writer’s Digest Honorable Mention Feature Article and Gutenberg Litegraphic Society 3rd Place Essay awards.
AETNA, Middletown, CT
Head, Communications (Manager Level) 1993 – 1996
Managed Care Products Engineering and Management
Ensured that all internal and external marketing and communication materials provided a clear and consistent cross-product message that aligned with and supported managed care strategy.
· Wrote, streamlined, updated, and finalized hundreds of product-related internal communications for enterprise and external collateral materials for members, providers and plan sponsors.
· Co-led major collateral re-write, which won Hartford Ad Club award.
· Worked with and managed relationships with vendors, copywriters and designers.
· Created internal newsletter; earning accolades from the President and CEO.
AETNA - Administrator/Project Manager (1992 – 1993)
Managed Care Network Operations/Communications
Developed, designed and wrote communications and content for Network Management College.
AETNA - Administrator/Consultant (1990 – 1992)
Utilization Management Field System Services
Provided overall training leadership on the Mac-based medical protocol programs.
AETNA - Case Reviewer/Supervisor (1987 – 1990)
Focused Psychiatric Review
Supplied complex case and account management for major commercial and government policyholders; wrote comprehensive care plans, developed marketing presentations and implemented contract-specific protocols and procedures; supervised 10-12 Master’s level clinicians.
MSW, Casework/Administration, University of Connecticut
BA, Philosophy/Theology, The College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA; John Carroll University, Cleveland, OH
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND TRAINING
Numerous programs, conferences and seminars including: Thinking Outside the Lines for Business Leaders and Managers; Health Care Reform/The American College; Capitalizing on the Conversation: Increase Your Social Media Marketing ROI for Businesses and Executives; Content Marketing: Tools and Resources; Presenting Data and Information (taught by Edward Tufte); Driving and Executing Strategy; Writing to the Brand; The Voice of the Consumer; Harvard’s Nieman Conference on Narrative Journalism; Diversity; Effective Presentations; RFP Writing; Health Literacy and Masterful Copywriting
RELEVANT CERTIFICATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
Aetna Certified Communicator
Member of the American Society of Journalists and Authors
Licensed by the State of Connecticut as a Clinical Social Worker
Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher; Mobile Apps, Social Media Marketing
|author photo © 2004 Gale Zucker
||Copyright 2019 Susan Lennon.
All Rights Reserved.